Cheese and Tomato Focaccia Pizza
Time: See method
Good For: Vegetarian / Gluten Free
We have combined two of our favourite Italian recipes - pizza and focaccia - to create this fabulous focaccia pizza topped with molten mozzarella and fruity olives. The perfect gluten free lunch with a crisp mixed leaf salad.
- For the tomato sauce: pour the passata into a medium sized saucepan set over a medium heat. Add the balsamic vinegar, spring onions, oregano and garlic and simmer for about 20 minutes or until reduced by ½. Season to taste. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the focaccia: grease a 30 cm x 44 cm baking sheet with oil and set aside. In a jug, whisk together the warm water, yeast and caster sugar. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes - or until a foam starts to form on the top (like the head of a beer).
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, xanthan gum, salt and olive oil. Stir well and make a well in the centre.
- When the yeast is ready, pour into the centre of the flour mixture. Use a wooden spoon to mix together to form a smooth, thick batter.
- Tip into the prepared tray and, with oiled fingers, spread into an even, flat layer. Cover and leave to prove for 20 minutes in a warm place.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220C/200 Fan.
- Once the dough has proved, use your fingertips to make dimples into the dough at regular intervals - try to keep in as much air as possible.
- Pour over the tomato sauce and spread in a smooth and even layer. Arrange the torn mozzarella on top, followed by the sliced tomatoes and olives, pushing the down into the dough.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and the mozzarella is melted and gooey. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve warm slices garnished with basil and mixed leaf salad on the side.
Tip: Once you have mastered this recipe, you can get creative and experiment with different toppings… try swapping the sliced tomatoes for these delicious Seggiano Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes or adding a little Seggiano Chilli Paste to the tomato sauce for a fiery kick.
- For the tomato sauce:
- 1 x 500 g bottle Seggiano Organic Premium Sicilian Tomato Passata
- 25 ml Seggiano Organic Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Seggiano Organic Semi Fresh Oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the focaccia dough:
- 460 ml warm water, at body temperature
- 20 g Doves Farm Quick Yeast
- 5 g Billington's Caster Sugar
- 500 g Doves Farm Gluten Free White Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Doves Farm Gluten Free Xanthan Gum
- 10 g salt
- 40 ml olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- For the toppings:
- 2 balls fresh mozzarella, torn into shreds
- 5 sliced tomatoes
- 10 Seggiano Organic Bella Di Cerignola Olives, pitted
- To serve:
- 10 basil leaves
- Mixed leaf salad